Sunday, December 3, 2017

Palate's bouillabaisse at Eat the Street, Lismore


Have you ever had a meal, or meals, you have never forgotten?
For me it was bouillabaisse and truite aux amandes, fish soup and trout with almonds, in France in the 1970s. I have been searching for bouillabaisse ever since, as you do, coming upon the best once in Darlinghurst/Surrey Hills, Sydney.
But I also slurped down a yummy one at Eat the Street Lismore this year, from Palate, with prawns, fish, mussels and more, in a dense, aromatic, brown liquid. When I returned from France, I think I deliberately sought out fresh-water trout, although never making it with almonds. It’s a delicious fish, turning dusky pink when baked, and easy enough to get in Adelaide, but harder here on the North Coast. Our snapper, barramundi and whiting, however, are just-fine substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment